Pages

Monday 11 July 2016

Day 3 Activity 1

Activity 1: Visit the website for the 2016 Rio Olympics. Click on the name of the one of the sports that is listed on the main page. If possible, choose one that you have never heard of before and read about it. After reading about the sport, post a short description of it on your blog. The post must include:

  1. The name of the sport
  2. The aim of the sport
  3. Two rules for the sport

Canoe Slalom is the name. The aim is to complete a 250 meter white water course in canoes or kayaks, passing through gates and avoiding obstacles in the shortest time possible. Two of the rules are: most courses are 80-120 seconds long but it can go up to 200 depending on the ability of the opposition, water turbulence, difficulty of course and level of competition. The second rule is: if the competitor's boat, body or paddle touches any pole of the gate, it will result in 2 seconds being added to your time.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Harry,

I can honestly say that I had never heard of canoe slalom before I read your post. It sounds like quite an interesting sport. It also sounds very difficult! I wonder if any athletes capsize in their canoes when they are competing. I will have to watch some of the footage of the canoe slalom events in Rio to get a better idea of the sport.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I have definitely learned something new by reading your post.

Keep up the great work, Harry!!

Cheers, Rachel

Harry said...

Hi Rachel, I think yes they can capsize in their canoes it is a possibility but I think one of the rules said that you would have to go through the gate upside down if you do something wrong. I'm not sure.

Mia said...

Hi Harry
I would have to agree with Rachel I have never heard of Canoe Slalom. Since you have choose this sport to talk about I am mind blown about your blog post. You have informed me about this sort which is amazing.

Keep up the great work
Mia

Unknown said...

It is amazing, isn't it? We are all learning something new from each other! It is pretty cool...

Post a Comment